are succulents poisonous to dogs


Are succulents poisonous to dogs, sadly there are some of them who are indeed poisonous to dogs and cats

The Following Succulent list plants are TOXIC for your PETS (dogs, cats)

The more important thing is to know which succulents to avoid if you have pets in your household. that’s why we created this post, please read and avoid the following succulents

Jade Plant (Crassula argentea)

Jade plants, also known as Crassula ovata, are very popular succulent houseplants. They have a miniature tree-like appearance and glossy oval-shaped leaves, which look super appealing—and your pets might think so too.

But you should keep your dogs or cats away from jade plants because they can cause symptoms of toxicity such as vomiting, lethargy, incoordination, and a low heart rate.

Aloe (Aloe vera)

Aloe is a common houseplant known for its multiple health benefits. However, it is toxic to cats and dogs if ingested due to a substance called aloin that pulls extra water into the pet’s colon. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, change in urine color or tremors.

Fiddle Leaf (Philodendron bipennifolium)

The Fiddle Leaf Philodendron, also known as Panda Plant, is a popular low-maintenance houseplant. All parts of this plant contain insoluble calcium oxalates crystal, an irritant to the tissues. Signs of toxicity include mouth irritation, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.

Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata)

Snake Plant is an easy-care houseplant that can adapt to a wide variety of growing conditions.

But the plant contains saponins, which can cause mild toxicity, with symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea for your pets if ingested.

Kalanchoe species

The Kalanchoe genus includes tropical, succulent flowering plants that bloom even in the coldest months of winter. They are easy to care for and very drought tolerant. But Kalanchoe plants contain cardiac glycosides which can cause lethargy, increased salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

Kalanchoe can be a dangerous toxin if a large amount is ingested, causing irregular heartbeats, elevated heart rate, labored breathing, severe weakness and collapse, or even death.


Make sure your succulents are out of reach of your pets. Refrain from buying plants that are potentially toxic to them. If you still decide to purchase those plants, you need to keep them in an inaccessible area. If your pets accidentally chew on your succulents, call your vet or an animal poison control center to determine if any treatment is needed.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top
%d bloggers like this: